Friday, 1 November 2013

You are "cool", we are cool...

“Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself.” 
- John Green

Once upon a time, if anybody mentioned the words "I" and "am" and "nerd" in the same sentence, in continuation,(probably with an "a" in there as well, because nerds generally have good grammar), people would have pointed their accusing fingers of ridicule. 
Am I right in saying that it is not the case anymore? Probably because our numbers have increased and we have used technology(that one of our kind probably invented)to connect with each other, rendering physical distances meaningless. So this post, I dedicate to my fellow nerds all around the world.

Like, see before there was only one kind of nerd-the freaky, ugly kid in the corner with a glazy look in his eyes who wrote down everything the teachers said, the kid whom no one would want to be caught dead talking to, the one that was only spoken to on the night before the finals. But now, we have all kinds of nerds. We have cocky nerds, who are extremely verbal about the lowering level of IQ in "cool" individuals and who, rightfully see themselves in a much better light.You should be thinking of a personality by the name of Sheldon Cooper.
We also have evil nerds who are planning to blow up the world with an invention of theirs(Warning : If that nerd who you're mean to always gives you a creepy smile, you probably want to check out his secret laboratory in his basement). Like I know this one nerd who decapitated a lizard for it had entered his "territory"(read "room") and was refusing to cough up the entrance fee. Come to think of it, he probably speaks Lizard as well. 
Next we have the I-don't-give-a-shit category of nerds. I know it may seem ironic, but this sub-division in our species exists. This one kid in my class solves Halliday and Irodov for fun(those are Physics books. Difficult Physics books. Very difficult Physics books)but did not study for his Physics paper because he didn't feel like. Seriously, this kid went to give his Math paper and halfway through he realised he didn't feel like giving the paper so he didn't attempt the rest of it. 
Then there are satirical nerds, who are really funny if you are smart enough to process what they're saying. To the rest majority of the world, that is just nerd banter. 
And lastly you have the wannabe nerds. I mean, they're technically not a member of our species, even though they try so hard. They're like the people who wear big, geeky glasses just because it seems like the next big thing and like to quote stuff out of books they don't get. They're tired of being "cool" and just want to be cool for once.(Message to the wannabe's here : Quit tryin'. It ain't your game)Its more than the glasses and the heavy dust covered books, because if nerds are anything, they're not pretentious. We were nerds before IT WAS COOL, and we shall continue to be after. 
Bill Gates famously said "Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one." Just hope it isn't the one you were mean to. 
And we sign off with this : "All hail John Green, the face of the nerd-rights campaign"

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, kind stranger :D
      No seriously thanks :P

      Delete
  2. Great stuff.... So wt category do u fall under ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahaha... I probably fall under the evil category
      You do not want to be mean to me :P

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preetha, I loved your post, like I always do, but it was honestly a task to read it. The font is so annoying. It is as repulsive as it can get.

    TBH, I was looking forward to read it. But after the first few lines, I read it only because I could give some feedback over the post after mentioning why I didn't want to read it. The font is REALLY annoying. It just makes you want to leave the blog post at that.

    Hell, I left this article midway thrice. The first two times I got myself to read it again, but the third time I gave up and here I am ranting. xD

    Change it dude, for real :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i see that u put this post online in the year 2013.
    So that kid who solves Irodov and Resnick, who's he?
    I would know him righto?
    I'll throw some guesses.
    Aranya? Shivani?ishaan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No no. See, me and my best friend wrote this post together. You'll find it on her blog as well. So this one was from her, but I do know the guy. He's one year older than us.

      Delete